After introducing the popular TightMetal Pro™ distortion pedal in 2013, Amptweaker™ immediately received many requests for a two button Rock distortion. With its included Fat and Smooth switches, the BigRock Pro™ can get all the familiar tones from our popular TightRock and FatRock pedals, and many more. Unlike most distortion pedals with boost, the BigRock Pro includes 2 Boost knobs, one before and one after the distortion.....so it’s easy to boost the gain AND volume, for the perfect solo tone. There’s also a Midboost button that works with the output Boost knob, to help solos cut through the mix.
Developed while designing the FatRock 'tweaked' version of the TightRock, the BigRock Pro has a Smooth Edge switch which cuts the high end sizzle for a warmer edge, and 2 Fat switches for either the normal or Boosted tones to have a thicker attack with a bit more compression, like the FatRock pedal. There's also a High Gain switch to select between Vintage sounding blues rock or heavier modern rock gain. The added three band EQ allows for much tonal variation, with its PlexEQ button for more traditional stack tone. Our standard noise gate from the original TightRock is also included, with 2 separate internal adjustments to help tweak the feel of the gate.
Amptweaker pedals are known for effects loops, and this one has 3: a universal loop, another active with the boost, and our popular SideTrak loop which activates when the pedal is OFF, to automatically shut off clean effects.
It can be used to add a compressor, chorus or chain of effects that only works when you play clean, or to switch to another distortion pedal to use for an alternate rhythm sound...all without having to hit more than one switch....it’s like having a built-in A/B box. A green LED alternates with the normal red one to indicate that the loop is active when the pedal is bypassed.
Another cool SideTrak trick is that if you only plug in the SideTrak Send, and don't plug in the Return, then that Sent dry signal can be sent to another amp.....meaning you could have the BigRock Pro going through a 412 halfstack while sending the clean tone to a Twin or some other clean amp. All this ability comes from two simple jacks on the side of the pedal!
A question we get a lot is, can the boost work by itself? No, the boost only works when the pedal is ON….and here’s why:
Since the boost has 2 boost knobs, one before the distortion and one after it. The gain boost is before and increases the distortion with only a little effect on the volume, while the Volume boost is after and increases the volume a lot. If the distortion circuit wasn't in between, then the volume would jump very high and result in a boost for clean that didn’t make sense. The boost footswitch also turns on the boost loop, switches in a Mid-boost switch and a fat-switch underneath, and is EQ’ed to work right with this pedal…..if you tried to use it as a clean boost, it would sound too mid-range for most people.
This setup also makes it quicker to go from clean, crunch rhythm, to lead with only 1 click. If you’re on clean, you turn the pedal on to get crunch….but if you want to go from clean to lead, you preset the boost before you turn on the pedal. So it’s 1 click when you're ready to go to a solo. If the boost worked separately like 2 pedals, then you’d have to hit 2 buttons to go from clean to boosted lead.
Standard Amptweaker features: LED illumination of controls, 14 gauge steel housing and true bypass switching.
- Dual Lit Boost controls via Boost footswitch
- 3 Band EQ, w/ Smooth Edge sw. and PlexEQ sw.
- 3 effects loops....Universal, Boost with Pre/Post switches, and the SideTrak loop that works when the pedal is OFF! Patch in clean effects
- Gain, Tight & Volume Controls
- High Gain switch for heavier tones, off for more vintage blues rock tones
- Noise Gate switch, with internal adjustment, tracks gain
- Added adjustable internal input noise gate for even more gating
- Mid switch with PlexEQ setting
- Mid Boost switch tweaks Boost to punch through
- Internal Fat switches for warmer Rhythm and/or Boost tones
- Can be used as a preamp, or into a clean channel
- LED lit knobs when using a power supply
- Battery disconnect switch with red indicator
- Runs on 9V-18V batteries or supplies–like 'variacing' your amp up and down, or similar to 50W versus 100W tone
- Current: 18mA with 1 or 2-9V batteries, 22mA with 9V adapter, 24mA with 18V adapter(adapters add knob LEDs....internal switch disconnects 1-9V battery clip
- DC Adapter jack, standard 2.1mm X 5.5mm, center ground(-)
- Magnetic Battery access door opens w/o tools
- Weight: 3 pounds, Dimensions: 5.625"W X 5"D X 2.125"H
- Handmade in the USA